Re: [TowerTalk] To Choke or Not to Choke?

To: "larryjspammenot@teleport.com" <larryj@teleport.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] To Choke or Not to Choke?
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 08:15:55 -0800
larryjspammenot@teleport.com wrote:
> I've been seeing all these articles about the Palomar, Hy-Gain, etc.
> baluns and ferrite cores are not good, like they advertise. So who is
> it that sells these special "Fair-Rite" cores?

I don't know whether they're good or not good. There's no question that
some of the sellers with long-time ham reputations (Amidon, Palomar) are
charging a substantial markup over the price from one of FairRite's
distributors. Sometimes it's because they're willing to sell in onesie
twosie quantities and the distributor isn't.

In any case, you can go to FairRite's website and get a list of local
distributors.  Jim K9YC's writeup gives the Fairrite part numbers (as
opposed to the FT240-31 style part #, which is a retail identification)

http://www.fair-rite.com/newfair/index.htm

Something to keep in mind, too, is that distribution channels and
sophistication is always changing.  More and more manufacturers are
making it more convenient to buy small quantities, so the role of the
small retailer is changing.  For instance, Fairrite now lets you check
distributor stock online.

#2631803802 is the 2.4" #31 toroid

Mouser has em in stock at $7 each, and shipping might be a bit pricey.

I've bought this sort of thing from Lodestone Pacific in the past, but
they do have a minimum order quantity.