Re: [TowerTalk] am towers

To: jim Jarvis <jimjarvis@optonline.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] am towers
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 08:24:23 -0800
jim Jarvis wrote:
> not what I meant, Don.
>
> The tower is substantial.    Whatever 'proof' was performed was
> minimal, if
> they only charged you $1200:
>
> It really depends on the nature of the AM array.   If it were an omni
> situation,
> just taking a couple of readings at a mile would suffice.    If,
> however, it was a
> 4 tower inline, where one of the towers had little or negative energy
> in it,  the
> pattern could be easily disturbed.   In that case, a full proof could
> be required.
> It has to be done when there is no skywave.  Depending on Frequency,
> you could
> be limited to 10am to 2pm.    It takes a 2 man crew for each car, and
> you might get in
> one radial a day, given 10 points, depending on terrain and roads and
> weather.
> That's 20 man-days.   Plus the consulting engineer.

I wonder if this has gotten easier/faster these days with GPS, automated
measurement equipment, better calibration techniques for the probe, and
so forth.

> When you take a f.s. reading,  you also have to take a picture, time
> stamped.
> This clearly identifies the measurement point, establishes the time
> line, and gives a visual
> record of environmental variables which may be around the point,
> disturbing
> the reading.    When the data is reduced, some points need to be
> discarded as
> useless, and replaced with others.  More driving, for repeat
> measurements.

I would think that today, measurement validation can be done pretty much
on the fly (i.e. you have a predict of what it should be, and you can do
the distance reduction, etc. automatically)