Re: [TowerTalk] am towers

To: "Tower Talk List" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] am towers
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2009 17:21:39 -0800
On Sun, 15 Feb 2009 13:01:45 -0500, jim Jarvis wrote:

>An AM array proof of performance has 20 radials, with 10 readings
>each... out to a distance
>of 8-10 miles.    Lot of labor involved.

The number of radials depends on the complexity of the pattern. A complex
pattern may be protecting stations in a half dozen or more directions,
each with a null.  In essence, the proof must confirm that the nulls
aren't being filled in. Yes, a LOT of labor.

In my college days, I worked for Pete Johnson, an AM broadcast consultant
who designed AM arrays. Got REALLY good at using a slide rule to do phasor
calculations. This was in 1962, LONG before computers.

73,

Jim K9YC