Re: [TowerTalk] roof mount Tripod

To: "Terry" <terry@kk6t.com>, <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] roof mount Tripod
From: "Larry Banks" <larryb.w1dyj@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 20:36:03 -0400
Hi Terry,

Well -- you ask an excellent question.  I have a lot more knowledge now than
I did when I installed the first tower and 6M antenna about 12 years ago.
That said, I have never had any lightning issues although my protection is
not optimized at all.

You are correct that the coaxes come through the roof, into the attic, down
the back of a 2nd floor closet, and into my shack on the 1st floor.  Both
towers are tied together and I have "ground cables" coming down both sides
of the house to ground rods on each side of the house.  The single point
shack ground is a copper bar connected through the shack wall to one set of
these ground rods.  All equipment and the AL plate the coax switches are on
are grounded to this bar in a star pattern.  All coaxes not in use are
grounded, and when I am not at home they are disconnected.

What really should be added -- "polyphasers" would give additional
protection, although I don't know where they would work best given the path
the coax takes.  With hindsight, I should have brought the coaxes down the
outside of the house to ground level, through a grounded box full of
"polyphasers", and then into the shack.  Over the next few years I am moving
my station to a house on Casco Bay in Maine and the design will incorporate
my new knowledge.

73,
Larry
W1DYJ