Re: [TowerTalk] antennas in water

To: "Tower Talk List" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] antennas in water
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2009 22:31:07 -0700
On Fri, 20 Mar 2009 09:30:30 -0700, Michael Tope wrote:

> Dean did
>have a high water table, however, so maybe he was in a localized high
>conductivity area that was "averaged out" by the low-resolution of the
>FCC map.

In my college days, I worked for Pete Johnson, one of two engineers who
wrote the AM broadcast technical regulations after WWII (the other was Carl
Smith). Pete had a consulting biz, and I did grunt-work calculations and map
work. The FCC rules at that time permitted to either use their ground
conductivity maps or measured radials from a station traversing the same
ground wave path that you wanted to use. There were places where the
measured data did, indeed, vary rather widely from the data published in the
Rules, and Pete managed to fit several new stations (including his own) into
an AM band that had been full for 20 years.

73,

Jim Brown K9YC