Re: [TowerTalk] OT: Wind Turbines and Towers - Results

To: "'Lee Buller'" <k0wa@swbell.net>, "'TowerTalk Reflector'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] OT: Wind Turbines and Towers - Results
From: "Michael Ryan" <mryan001@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 10:17:56 -0400
Lee, I would assume that the use of the turbine would also incorporate the
use of a DC to AC inverter at some point.  A recent issue of QST dabbled
very lightly into inverters.  They actually glazed over this issue which is
their norm.  But BE CAREFUL what BRAND of inverter you buy and get a money
back guarantee if you can.  If you are a ham and use one of these things you
are going to notice noise from it. PURE SIGN WAVE appears to be the most
interesting and efficient method but can also produce some awful broad band
crud.  I have a problem with a guy 1000ft away with solar panels and a
turbine.  In the name of good neighborhood relations I have not pulled the
trigger on this. But he was warned and is subject to a rather STEEP fine
from the FCC over this issue. Some brands ( which I also won't go into here
) have had serious problems with noise. The manufacturers do not face
penalties over this but the END USER does in fact, because the devices
becomes an incidental radiator ( See Part-15). Some installations create
more problems than others. In my local case here, just the 8" wire probe
from a volt meter stuck in one of the a/c outlets on the inverter becomes an
antenna and I can hear the noise almost 1/2 mile away on my Kenwood 480 in
the car. The noise here significantly effects 160/80/40/30 mtrs.
 Good luck...
- Mike