Re: [TowerTalk] Equipment suggestions or donations

To: "Marlon K. Schafer" <ooe@odessaoffice.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Equipment suggestions or donations
From: "Bill Aycock" <billaycock@centurytel.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 08:32:18 -0500
Marlon-- Thanks for the clarification.

As you  have probably noted, your post had several "Triggers" that were
contrary to Ham tradition, law, and Mores.  In addition, there were
indications that you (if unlicensed) were about to break several parts of
the law we live by.

We, as hams, are proud of our identity as hams; we can identify thousands of
other Hams, world-wide, by  our Callsign. Mine is W4BSG, and was first
issued to me, after passing a test on technology, legal aspects, and skills,
at the FCC office in Boston, Mass., in 1954. In communications such as this
list, we usually sign our calls. Since you did not, alert signals
automatically popped up. As it is, those signals were right-- you are not a
Ham.

Additional alerts were some of the indicators of a lack of knowledge of the
rules we live by-- known as "Part 97 of the FCC Code". This is the law about
electromagnetic radiation, as it pertains to Hams in the United States.

Other alerts applied to ignorance of the Amateur ("Ham") tradition. One of
the main ones is the providing of emergency communications without getting,
or expecting, pay.

Enough- You will hear from a lot of others, as I have noted on the list.

Good Luck-- Bill--W4BSG