[TowerTalk] Off Topic, Sorta....

To: "Tower Talk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Off Topic, Sorta....
From: "WA6RKN" <WA6RKN@ARRL.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 13:16:14 -0700
Sometimes in our zeal to protect our hobby, we over look the obvious...as
was the case here.

In defense of being 'inquisitive, Last week, I talked to 8 stations that
were using call signs that were not in the ULS.  Why I don't know, but I
would hazard a guess they were bootlegging.

More and more CB'ers are going VHF radios, without the requisite Tech
ticket, and...a few of them are going so far as to venture into the realm of
HF radio and bootlegging there as well.

It is up to us to police, whenever and wherever needed, actively, and let
the bootleggers know, that we are on to them...Many times, it is enough to
just let them know that the call they are using is not recognized by the
FCC.  Most of the time, it will shut them up.

In any case, Marlon seemed to have taken the inquisition in stead and in
good humor, so all is well again here Talkianland.

Joe Wolfe
WA6RKN