[TowerTalk] EZNEC- needs improvement

To: paul@w8aef.com, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] EZNEC- needs improvement
From: RLVZ@aol.com
Date: Sun, 5 Apr 2009 22:17:11 EDT

Great job Paul!

Now I understand why EZNEC is often wrong and why the Vertical often  works
better than the Yagi...
even though EZNEC may say the Yagi has a 10dB advantage.

Thanks!

73,
Dick- K9OM

In a message dated 4/5/2009 9:57:30 PM Eastern Daylight Time,  paul@w8aef.com
writes:

My point  is that according to EZNEC 3.0, a dipole at 1/2 wavelength above
ground  over salt water will have its major lobe at

30 degrees above the  horizon and have a gain of 8.36 dBi.
15 degrees it has a gain of 5.62  dBi.,
14 degrees 5.16 dBi,
13 degrees 4.65 dBi,
12 degrees 4.08  dBi,
11 degrees 3.43 dBi,
10 degrees 2.71 dBi.
5 degrees -2.94  dBi

A 1/4 wavelength vertical over salt water will have it's major lobe  at
10 degrees above the horizon and a gain of 3.97 dBi.
15 degrees it  has a gain of 3.88 dBi
5 degrees 3.68 dBi

So if the radiation angle  is above 12 degrees the dipole has the advantage,
below 11 degrees the  vertical has the advantage.

No go to W6EL prop and put 11.5 degrees in  as your Minimum Radiation Angle
with an SFI of 71 and a K of 1 look at the  prediction for the G to KH6 path,
11605 km, mostly over salt water.
At  0700 the probability for 14.1 MHz is 2 D.  (2 dB above the noise but not
likely to have propagation)
Click on Advanced and scroll to 0700Z on  14.1 MHz and you will see it takes
7 F layer hops for  communication.

Now put 5 degrees in as your Minimum Radiation Angle and  run the same
prediction.
At 0700 the probability for 14.1 MHz is 17  C.  17 dB above the noise and
propagation slightly  possible.

So how come a dipole with 8.36 dBi gain will have 15 dB less  signal strength
than a vertical with only -2.94 dBi gain on this  path?

Click on Advanced and scroll to 0700Z on 14.1 MHz and you will  see it only
takes 6 F layer hops now.  That 1 F layer hop accounts  for 15 - 8.36 + 2.94
for 9.58 dB gain.

And if you compare the 30  degree takeoff angle of the dipole to the 10
degrees of the vertical you  will see no possibility for propagation with the
dipole and 14 dB above  the noise and a slight chance of propagation with the

vertical.

Click on advanced and you will see the vertical still  takes 6 F layer hops.

Now drop down to 5 degrees and you have 17 dB  above the noise and still a
slight chance of propagation.

And we  are down to 5 F layer hops.

The answer is in the F layer hops that  cannot be put into EZNEC.

de Paul, W8AEF

ZF2JI/ZF2TA   FO8DX/FO8PLA  8Q7AA  XZ0A  VU7RG   TX5C