Re: [TowerTalk] EZNEC- needs improvement

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] EZNEC- needs improvement
From: W2RU - Bud Hippisley <W2RU@frontiernet.net>
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2009 21:49:36 -0400
On Apr 6, 2009, at 8:35 PM, Larry Banks wrote:

> Hi Jim,
>
> I am moving my station to Maine -- and asked the "QST Doctor" about
> trees
> and antennas back in January 2007.

Since "clear-cutting" isn't legal around here, I can only offer
another "unscientific" opinion (although I think "heuristic" or
"empirical" sounds better):

At my previous QTH here in upstate NY I had a single quarter-wave
vertical on 160 for about ten years.  It was surrounded by a dense
stand of mostly hardwoods.  It had 20 radials of varying lengths.  It
got out like gangbusters.

At my present QTH (also in upstate NY) I have been using a single
vertical, 90 feet tall with two HF Yagis providing top loading, for
about six years.  It is surrounded by mostly white pines and assorted
other softwoods -- most of which are taller than the vertical.  In
fact, to the northeast and east, one can go miles before running out
of trees.  The vertical has 20 radials of varying lengths.  It gets
out like gangbusters....especially toward Europe.

I've had a few Top 10 finishes in ARRL and CQ 160 contests during that
time, despite my propensity for sleeping.

There are only three problems I've ever noted with 160-meter verticals
in the middle of the woods:

1.  Falling trees can land on guy wire(s), bringing your vertical down
with them....fairly rapidly.
2.  Growing trees can push up on guy wire(s), tilting your vertical to
one side in the process...albeit very slowly.
3.  Because of the tree roots, it's extremely hard to "bury" the
radials so that family members and guests don't trip over them.

If I had to choose between moving my upstate-NY vertical in the woods
to either:
   a.  cleared farmland in upstate NY; or
   b.  a dense woods in Maine
I'd choose (b) every time.

My recommendation:  Spend your time working on some directive
receiving antennas for the low bands, rather than worrying about the
(minimal) effect of Maine trees on your transmitted 160-meter signal.

Bud, W2RU