Re: [TowerTalk] inverted v vs flattop--coax vs balanced feed

To: "Jim WB5OXQ inb Waco, TX" <wb5oxq@grandecom.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] inverted v vs flattop--coax vs balanced feed
From: Richards <jruing@ameritech.net>
Date: Mon, 06 Apr 2009 10:49:56 -0400
In your ARRL Antenna Handbook....you DO have one
of these... right?.... Check

1)  pages 4-7 and following for EZNEC modeling information
2)  pages 6-11 and following for a discussion of the construction
           and application performance of horizontal antennas for
           low bands.
3)  page 4-4 on the flattop geometry and output patterns
4)  Chapters 6 and 7 generally regarding wire antennas
5)  Chapter 26 has various topics on what feed line to use,
       specifically page 26-4 on open wire vs coax cable feed line
        and pages 26-18 an 19 regarding symmetrical and asymmetrical
        coax feed lines

The difficulty in giving a more specific localized question is there are
many variables involved.. including such things as :

*  Do you want it to be single or multi-band in operation?
*  Do you want it for local or DX contacts or a little of both?
*  How high can you put it?
*  What is nearby - environmental metal and structures?
*  How far is it to the antenna from the shack?
*  Resonant or non-resonant antenna?
*  Power?
*  Using a tuner?
*  Cost analysis and your budget?
*  Baluns-Transformers-current chokes-isolation transformers-, etc?
*  Metal vs non-metal and other dielectric materials for supports?
*  Directionality desired or not?
*  Bands to be worked - sometimes it matters how high,
        long, close to other objects, etc. - some bands are
        tricky and others not....  I guess... that is what the book
        indicates...

Happy trails.