Re: [TowerTalk] Vertical vs Beam

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Vertical vs Beam
From: "Bill Axelrod" <bill@axelrods.org>
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2009 09:42:43 -0500
Now that we are sharing on-the-air comparisons, here's mine from my last QTH
on a WV mountainside:

Antennas:
40 and 30 meter - two element yagi at 80ft (24M)
20 thru 10 meters - 3 elements at 73' (~22M)
160 and 80 meters - Inverted Vee at 70' (~21 meters), 80 meters vertical
about 80' away from Inverted Vee, 160 meter 60' top loaded vertical away
from everything else
Multiple band 40 thru 10 meter vertical with 32 radials about 45' from the
tower (SteppIR BigIR)
Beverage receive antenna

Results:

In all cases on all bands the beams beat the multi-band vertical for DX.
The vertical came pretty close to parity to the beam on far out DX on 40
meters.

In all cased the verticals beat the inverted Vee on 160 and 80 for DX.

Sometimes the 20 thru 10 meter beam heard better than the beverages on 80
meters.  Never did figure that one out.  Not so on 160.

What's important - get an antenna up and get on the air.  Worry about the
rest later.

73...   Bill ND9E