Re: [TowerTalk] Vertical vs Beam

To: N7mal <n7mal@citlink.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Vertical vs Beam
From: Michael Tope <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Apr 2009 01:00:43 -0700
N7mal wrote:

> [...]
WWV uses 1/2 wave verticals:

http://tf.nist.gov/timefreq/stations/wwv.html

http://tf.nist.gov/timefreq/general/pdf/271.pdf

Interesting design with the 9 wire skirt. They mention in the old QST
article that connecting the tower bases to a ground radial system didn't
perturb the antenna's input impedance.

>There were several comments about the """"horrible/terrible"""" noise a
>vertical hears and they are useless for receiving.

This is only true if the noise sources are local. For skywave propagated
noise, the polarization is randomized so on average it shouldn't make
any difference (the pattern differences will in certain instances come
into play depending on the angle of arrival differences between the
noise and the desired signal). BTW, I have a 20 meter 1/4 wave ground
plane at my home QTH. It is VERY noisy, but I am in the city. The noise
is all local (I just checked to be sure - it doesn't get quieter when
the band dies at night). When I had a 80 meter inverted-vee dipole up,
it would almost always produce a weaker s-meter reading on 20 meters
(due to the impedance mismatch loss), but more often than not it
provided the better overall SNR.