Re: [TowerTalk] EZNEC- needs improvement

To: "K4SAV" <RadioIR@charter.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] EZNEC- needs improvement
From: "Paul Playford" <paul@w8aef.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2009 10:40:26 -0700
Antenna gain is one thing, path loss is another.

As I recall Steve's question was 'why does EZNEC predict higher gain for a
dipole than a vertical, but in practice I see the vertical outperforming my
dipole (over salt water)'

The dipole (at 1/2 wavelength above ground) will have a higher angle of
radiation (more F layer hops for DX) than the vertical, both over salt
water.

Anytime you add F layer hops to a path you will have increased loss.

I have already spent too much time on this subject, I am done with it.

de Paul, W8AEF

ZF2JI/ZF2TA  FO8DX/FO8PLA  8Q7AA  XZ0A  VU7RG  TX5C