Re: [TowerTalk] Vertical vs Beam

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Vertical vs Beam
From: "Robert Chudek - K0RC" <k0rc@citlink.net>
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2009 19:07:25 -0500
I can support what David says about this. I have both a 40m Telrex full-sized
single element mounted horizontal at 67 feet and a (nearly) vertical wire
dipole with the top approximately 60 feet. They are supported from the same
tower.

The majority of the time there is hardly a detectable difference in signal
strength between these two dipoles. However, there are times when a signal
simply "disappears" on one antenna or the other. The phenomenon is the same
whether it's a stateside or DX signal. There is no consistent pattern where one
antenna would always be better.

During a contest I am always switching between these two antennas as I tune the
band looking for contacts.

73 de Bob - KØRC in MN

Message: 9