Re: [TowerTalk] [OKDXA] Vertical vs Beam

To: Discussion of OKDXA <okdxa@mailman.qth.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [OKDXA] Vertical vs Beam
From: Robert Redmon <k5sm.bob@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 05 Apr 2009 17:47:39 -0500
John,

No way, no how. If you want a practical demonstration, I will be glad to
provide it. I have an AV640, which functions as a 3/8 wave on 40-6
meters. It performs well on 40 and 30 meters, as well or better than any
other (full size or otherwise, elevated gp or ground mounted) vertical I
have tried on those bands the past 7 years since I got the AV640, but
even a tiny 3 element TH3JR with a 12 foot boom dramatically
outperformed it on 20 meters and up, even at 30 feet (when I lived in
town)...and the AV640 was up 20' at the base (then and now) on a couple
sections of 25g.

73, Bob K5SM