Re: [TowerTalk] Antennas at 45° [was Gizmotchy's]

To: "Larry Banks" <larryb.w1dyj@verizon.net>, "Towertalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Antennas at 45° [was Gizmotchy's]
From: "Jim Hargrave" <w5ifp@gvtc.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2009 20:07:21 -0000
Larry,

I don't have a sceintific answer for you, just practical experience.

I have the rotor mounted sideways off to the side of the mast. So the
elements are out in the clear when in the vertical position. I'm sure the
mounting makes some difference. Just how much I don't know. I initially ran
some test with a friend about 50 miles away. We checked it out both
horizontal and Vertical. The signals were very close regardless of
orientation.

We also experienced some signal phasing occasionally and I was able to
optimize the signals by rotating the polarization on my antenna. I still use
the same antenna and it is mounted about 8ft above my TH6DXX, and I have a
tri-band J-pole above that, covering 144/220/440.

The rotor is an old CDE TV rotor, that I acquired at a swap fest without
controller. It initially had the contact for the ratchet type indicator. I
ripped all that out and installed two micro switches at O & 90 degree
points.

I have not applied this technology to my TH6DXX, but sure have thought about
it...(:->

   * 73's Jim W5IFP *