Re: [TowerTalk] Ladder line

To: Rob Atkinson <ranchorobbo@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Ladder line
From: chas <chasm@texas.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 00:42:21 -0500
Rob Atkinson wrote:
> I apologize for not looking at the Cobra antenna website before
> commenting previously.   In my opinion, you would be far better off
> with a center fed dipole of either 88 feet total length for 10 to 80
> meters, or one about twice that to include 160.  These are roughly 1/3
> w/l at the lowest frequency.   they work just as well as a 1/2 w/l
> dipole, provided you use ladder line, throw away any balun in the
> feedline between the antenna and tuner, _and use a balanced tuner_
> such as the Palstar BT1500 (or homebrew).   You can have a physically
> small antenna, similar to the Cobra, but without the hassles and power
> limit annoyances (it would annoy me at least) provided you use a tuner
> rated at the power you wish to run.
>
> 73
>
> Rob / K5UJ

Uh Rob
I have the Cobra Senior, 140' long if you do not count the triple wire
that is zipped together... if you do, then the dipole is 420' long
plus a 100' piece of 450 ohm ladderline.

again, this is at (mostly )  35' off the ground.
and this is used (mostly) at or about 4mc.
sometimes about 3.2 and sometimes about 4.9mc.

hope this helps
chas k5dam