Re: [TowerTalk] pl259

To: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] pl259
From: jim Jarvis <jimjarvis@optonline.net>
Date: Tue, 05 May 2009 09:21:34 -0400
We had a technique for rg58/59 used for video cabling which differs
from the standard.
It was used at RCA network,  and the CE at the instructional TV
studio where I worked as
a student, had come from RCA.

The reducer was sliced, using a hacksaw, from the forward tip, down
to the threads,
and deburred with a file.   The rg58 was run through it,  then the
braid was teased out
with a pick,  to form two pigtails.   The pigtails were routed
through the two hacksaw
cuts,  smoothed out, and soldered to the reducer.   Then, trimmed and
filed so it fit
easily into the pl259.

The reducer was screwed into the pl259,  and the coax center soldered
to the pl259 pin.
Then, the reducer itself was tack soldered to the body of the PL259.

These things never came apart,  and I never had one fail, in the 4
years I worked there,
despite rough handling for remote and studio setups.

N2EA