Re: [TowerTalk] Advice pse : Log Periodic versus small Steppir

To: <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Advice pse : Log Periodic versus small Steppir
From: "EZ Rhino" <EZRhino@fastmovers.biz>
Date: Fri, 8 May 2009 08:17:13 -0600
Hi Gerry,

I own a T6, and I have friends that own T6's, T8's, and T12's.  Tennadyne
LPDA's are excellent antennas.  They are built to withstand anything you can
throw at them.  The only negative I can think of is an instruction manual
that could be a little bit more clear, but that's a pretty small nit to
pick.  I was in the same situation as you a few years ago, looking for
something better (and no doubt bigger) than my Cushcraft MA5B mini-beam.  A
friend suggested the T6, and I'm glad I went that route.  It covers 5 bands
and even tunes up on 6m.  The gain is a little more than the 2el Steppir,
but at half the price.  Although the boom is short (12 feet) the longest
element is pretty long (38 ft.) which is a couple feet longer than the
Steppir, as I recall.  Although the Steppirs are generally very reliable,
there is the possibility of mechanical/electrical problems down the road.
There's not much to go wrong with Tennadyne's.  You will probably get lower
SWR with the Steppir, if that is important to you. The bigger the LPDA the
better your SWR gets.  With the T6 my worst SWR is 1.6 or 1.7.  I use the
radio's internal tuner when needed; push the button and forgetaboutit.

Chris
KF7P