[TowerTalk] Yagi re-build question

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Yagi re-build question
From: Brian Machesney <nekvtster@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 14:49:50 -0400
I have obtained several aged yagis that I intend to rebuild. The elements
and booms have various amounts of "gunk" on them - ranging from atmospheric
crud to left over tape adhesive to oxidation where metal parts were clamped
together.

What's the best - that is, fastest, easiest and cheapest - way to clean
these up? I've tried ScotchBrite pads - man, that takes a lot of elbow
grease. I believe sailors use dilute phosphoric acid, but I'm not quite sure
what that accomplishes.

Then, is there a way to keep the gunk off? I've seen posts about using
acrylic sprays, but I've been told latex is preferred; not sure where to
find a "clear latex spray."

Ideas?

73 -- Brian -- K1LI