Re: [TowerTalk] Rotor change out question

To: k2vi <k2vi@cox.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rotor change out question
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sat, 23 May 2009 16:03:03 -0400

k2vi wrote:
> Hey fellas,
>
> Can someone please give me some advice. I was thinking of changing out my
> rotor and really do not want to remove the ta-33 from the tower. Can I simply
> loosen the mast clamp and lower the antenna to rest on the thrust bearing
> then loosen the rotor clamp to slide the mast up to remove the rotor. What
> would be the easiest process to switch out a rotor without removing the
> antenna. Thanks in advance guys. Have a great memorial weekend guys.

I've been doing this for years and it's with a large array
http://www.rogerhalstead.com/ham_files/Tower29.htm (link posted many
times before).  There are two thrust bearings that normally only support
the system from side to side movement. To take out the rotator I raise
the antennas and mast a few inches and tighten the bolts in the bottom
thrust bearing to hold things in place. (The system is heavy enough I
put a clamp and clevis on the mast and use a "come-along" to raise it).
Once raised I simply take the rotator out the side of the tower.  Note
rotator motor sticks out the side of the tower to the left, just above
the bottom of the photo.

73

Roger (K8RI)