Re: [TowerTalk] Rotor change out question (added note)

To: k2vi <k2vi@cox.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rotor change out question (added note)
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sat, 23 May 2009 18:12:31 -0400

Roger (K8RI) wrote:
> k2vi wrote:
>
>> Hey fellas,
>>
>> Can someone please give me some advice. I was thinking of changing out my
>> rotor and really do not want to remove the ta-33 from the tower. Can I
>> simply loosen the mast clamp and lower the antenna to rest on the thrust
>> bearing then loosen the rotor clamp to slide the mast up to remove the
>> rotor. What would be the easiest process to switch out a rotor without
>> removing the antenna. Thanks in advance guys. Have a great memorial weekend
>> guys.
>>

> I've been doing this for years and it's with a large array
> http://www.rogerhalstead.com/ham_files/Tower29.htm (link posted many
> times before).  There are two thrust bearings that normally only support
> the system from side to side movement. To take out the rotator I raise
> the antennas and mast a few inches and tighten the bolts in the bottom
> thrust bearing to hold things in place. (The system is heavy enough I
> put a clamp and clevis on the mast and use a "come-along" to raise it).
> Once raised I simply take the rotator out the side of the tower.  Note
> rotator motor sticks out the side of the tower to the left, just above
> the bottom of the photo.

I forgot to add that I block the mast from turning.  Depending on the
load this can be simple or a bit more complex.  If the load is not too
great a piece of channel fastened to two tower legs using saddle clamps
with a saddle clamp around the mast will work.  It may take a second
piece of channel welded/bolted to the first to anchor to the third tower
leg.

If the load it not great even 2 X 4s clamped to the mast and tower legs
will work.
Fit two 2 X 4s together and bore a slightly undersized hole through then
centered on the junction between them. Block up the joint is necessary
for spacing.

Another method is adapting a rotator mounting plate using a piece of
angle and saddle clamp, or using a thrust bearing/sleeve that can be
pinned.

I like the rotator plate as it's easy, distributes the load across the
tower legs equally, and I happen to have one available.

73 again,

Roger (K8RI)