Re: [TowerTalk] Power Pole

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Power Pole
From: Andy <ai.egrps@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2009 10:04:29 -0400
> Approximately 10% goes in the ground. So for 40 foot actual height, you
> need a 44+ foot pole.

There is an array not far from here of about a dozen tall wooden poles,
visible from a mile or two.  I've read that it supports a Sterba array.
Sorry I don't know the operator's call off-hand (now in his 90's).

I've read that his poles sit on top of concrete pads and are not anchored at
the base at all.

I'm not a pole guy, but I think many telephone poles are treated with
chemicals that might make them "hazardous waste" now.  When I was growing
up, I remembered they sure smelled pretty bad.  :-)

Andy