Re: [TowerTalk] Power Pole

To: ka5txl@arrl.net
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Power Pole
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Wed, 03 Jun 2009 17:14:59 -0400

Larry Melby wrote:
> If you have ever gaffed out of a pole ( I can still feel the splinters 20
> years later) it would diminish the desire to use one for a tower unless you
> have ready access to a bucket truck

Ever climb those old, dry, nothing but splinters telephone poles?  The
ones that have been around so long one man can lift  the whole thing?
Of course they weren't treated, but gaffing out on one of those is like
having your pant legs stapled (or sewn) to your legs.  I think about
half of them were held up by the wires to the other half.  They made an
unguyed 60' 25 G look as solid as the Empire State Building. <:-))

I worked as a lineman along with my dad on an old, privately owned phone
line when I was still in my teens.  I think I may still have the test
set some where.  This is when the phones all had magnetos in them. Of
course even after telling every one not to try to use the line as we'd
be working on it, invariably some one would hear the ring from the test
set, and immediately try to call someone. That was worse than an
electric fence, but it still wasn't as bad as the splinters.

73

Roger (K8RI)