Re: [TowerTalk] Rigid Steel Conduit as Mast?

To: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rigid Steel Conduit as Mast?
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Fri, 05 Jun 2009 18:52:50 -0400

Jim Brown wrote:
> I asked a colleague who builds a lot of commercial two-way
> installations where I could find 2-inch hot-dipped galvanized mast
> material locally. He suggested that I use 1.5-inch rigid steel
> conduit.
There are two types of rigid steel conduit. The one is like schedule 40
pipe and the other (EMT) is thin wall.
The heavy conduit like we used in industry is soft like water pipe, but
still fairly strong.  Then there is thin wall or EMT which would
probably work IF the antenna is mounted right at the top of the tower. I
would not want to mount the antenna any distance above the top of the
tower due to the leverage or angular moment generated particularly due
to wind load.

73

Roger (K8RI)