Re: [TowerTalk] (Repost) Engineering advice on above ground foundation

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] (Repost) Engineering advice on above ground foundation
From: "Doug Rehman" <doug@k4ac.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2009 21:04:01 -0400
Reminds me of a commercial tower over near Melbourne, FL. The 400'+ tower
was built on a former landfill. In the first few years, the tower sank
several feet. The owner just kept tightening up the guys.

After he missed some mortgage payments, the land got repossessed. One
evening, an acquaintance he paid cut thru one of the guy anchors with a
hacksaw and brought the tower down. He claimed the tower wasn't a permanent
structure/fixture to the property since it was on a threaded rod pier pin
and there was no nut on the threaded rod...

Last I heard he was in prison for possession of some explosive devices that
he wanted to use against the people that foreclosed on him, but that's
another story...

Doug
K4AC