Re: [TowerTalk] (Repost) Engineering advice on above ground foundation

To: TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] (Repost) Engineering advice on above ground foundation
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Fri, 05 Jun 2009 18:40:43 -0700

And what does your gut feeling tell you about the fluidity of the soil
under the base since you've never seen it?  That's what will determine
whether his tower tips over or not.  It isn't even possible to "do the
math" until someone checks out that soil.

This whole discussion amazes me.  If any part of ham radio screams for
proper engineering, it is tower and antenna installation.  Why would
anyone invest that much money in a project involving health and safety
(i.e., liability) based upon "gut feel"?

I'm surprised nobody has brought up the probable hassles in getting
zoning inspection buyoff for a tower foundation so far removed from the
specified requirements.

Dave   AB7E