Re: [TowerTalk] Tramming a 6M beam

To: Cqtestk4xs@aol.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tramming a 6M beam
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Thu, 09 Jul 2009 21:03:37 -0400

Cqtestk4xs@aol.com wrote:
> In a message dated 7/9/2009 11:11:51 PM Greenwich Standard Time,
> K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net writes:
>
> It's  long and has to be rotated around each set of guys if not  trammed
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> No need to rotate around the guys.  My post said to drop the  guys.
I won't even go up a tower without all the guys. When I assemble one,
each section gets its own set of temporary guys until we reach the
location for the next permanent set.  Then the lower temps come off and
it's onward and upward.

If I go up a tower and the antennas shake I figure either, the tower's
not heavy enough, the guys are not properly tensioned, or the guys are
improperly placed.

I'm as paranoid about guy lines as I am taking off without full gas in
an airplane.  They've just never had the weather suddenly close in and
find the next landing is 300 miles off. <:-))
>  No
> need to work around them.  The 4 el 40 was 40 plus feet long  as were my 5 el
> 20 m Yagis back on the mainland.  All went up without a  hitch....one man.
>
> Agreed to have extras around for safety, but out here in the country  of
> the Big Island  that is not always possible.
Nor is it here in the land of the bankrupt automobile companies either.
<:-))  Most of the "old guys" who were "ready, willing, and able  (I
should add knowledgeable enough)" to help, have...well...gotten old, or
are gone. Gone?  I think over half have passed on.
 Now "the new ones" complain about the local hams not being friendly
enough to come over and help them put up their antennas, when in
actuality there really are very few who can and I won't let any without
experience climb mine.
>  All antennas here  have been
> raised without a tram, except for the monster 4 el M2 40 meter which  had to
> be
> trammed to 150 feet in the never ending tradewinds.  It was uh,  exciting.

Trade winds we don't have, but unexpected gusty conditions we do.

73

Roger (K8RI)