Re: [TowerTalk] STEPPIR QUESTION

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] STEPPIR QUESTION
From: K4SAV <RadioIR@charter.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 15:28:53 -0500
WC1M wrote: That's great info, Jerry. So, if I understand the design
correctly, if one
of the two wires in a pair is accidentally disconnected, and it happens to
be the return current line, the chip will burn itself up. Is that correct?

No, that's not correct.  I didn't say that.  If either or both of the
lines become disconnected it won't damage anything. It's true that the
return line won't be able to sense the current, but if the line is open
there is no current.  Shorting either of those lines to something else
is where you have the problem.

Both of the lines take turns being the current sense line.

The first failure mode for an MOV is to short.  If the current is
sufficient it can completely destroy the MOV or blow it off the board,
in which case it fails open.

Jerry, K4SAV