Re: [TowerTalk] World's toughest fixes - 2000' tower

To: TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] World's toughest fixes - 2000' tower
From: Kelly Johnson <n6kj.kelly@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 09:51:01 -0700
When I was in high school I knew a ham that worked at the local tv
transmitter site.  He took me on a tour once.  There was a 996 ft.
tall tower next to the transmitter building.  This was in Michigan:
snow and ice in the winter!  The transmitter building had a roof that
was (I think) 1 foot thick solid wood to protect against ice falling
off the tower.  The workers at the transmitter parked their cars 1/4
mile away to avoid having ice fall on their cars.  I have no idea how
they protected themselves while walking to the transmitter building.
I guess hazardous duty pay isn't just required for the tower climbers
:-)