Re: [TowerTalk] World's toughest fixes - 2000' tower

To: "a towertalk COL" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] World's toughest fixes - 2000' tower
From: "Thomas F. Giella NZ4O" <nz4o@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 12:41:34 -0400
I saw that particular program recently. The guy that is the star of the show seems fearless no matter what the big fix is.

When I was 17 years old I was a journeyman electrician and A/C & refrigeration technician. The man that I worked for was pretty fearless also, he had survived D Day!!!

Amongst many other things he handled the replacement of tower lighting in the region. One day we changed out the main light at the top of the tower for radio station WDCF 1350 kc in Dade City. We both climbed the 1/4 wave tower and I thought it was pretty neat because I was young and stupid.

When we got to the top you could feel the tower sway a bit. The scary part of the climb was the thunderstorm that passed nearby. That scared the crap out of me but didn't phase the boss.

73 & GUD DX,
Thomas F. Giella, NZ4O
Lakeland, FL, USA
nz4o@arrl.net