Re: [TowerTalk] World's toughest fixes - 2000' tower

To: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] World's toughest fixes - 2000' tower
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 10:35:14 -0700
Richard (Rick) Karlquist wrote:
> I am near some 2000 foot towers.  According to the engineer
> who built them, they basically don't move at all at the top.
> He says he doesn't notice anything when the wind blows.
>
> Rick N6RK

Might depend on the tower and the wind, and, certainly some psychology.
  I've been up a several hundred foot tower, and it certainly moved. Not
abrubtly, more like a sort of swaying with a period of several seconds.
  Not unlike standing on a dock, but smaller displacement. Hard to
estimate the displacement though, because there's nothing to reference
it to.

For that matter, if the wind is blowing, even a solid rock pinnacle
"feels" like it's moving. Maybe it's because once you get a few hundred
feet up, you don't have a visual "ground reference".

Jim