Re: [TowerTalk] scariest repairs

To: jim Jarvis <jimjarvis@optonline.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] scariest repairs
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 10:45:57 -0700
jim Jarvis wrote:
> Tall buildings aren't guyed structures, Bill.   I wouldn't expect to
> see 1"/100' deflection
> in a guyed tower, unless the guys weren't properly tensioned.   To
> follow your rule,
> you'd see 20"-40" side-sway at the top of that tower.   I don't think
> so.

Interesting question, because the catenary guys are a "spring" so the
tower MUST deflect in the wind.

A presentation by KE1IH at Dayton (5/20/05) shows a few inches
deflection along the tower between guy points.  Another of his models
(80 ft Rohn25 with a 40-2CD and TH6DXX shows 12" displacement at the top
of the tower and 61" displacement at the top of the mast.

www.yccc.org/Articles/KE1IH_Dayton.ppt