Re: [TowerTalk] Regarding Worm Gear Drive Winches

To: "towertalk reflector" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Regarding Worm Gear Drive Winches
From: "Al Williams" <radioman007@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 08:30:09 -0700
This is a question that I have been pondering for some time because--
When I decided to change my Fulton 1550 winch that was being used for the
tilt-over
assembly on my LM470 (it was too hard to raise the tower and I suspected
that the load exceded its rating). The person at Fulton suggested the Fulton
2550 and told me that
worm gear winches should not be used because the load can drive themn
backwards.

Note  1: I forgot to point out that in my application, the load is only
temporarily on the winch.

Note 2: The load never did unwind the mechanical engine driven worm gear
winch on my truck, which I used numerous times to pull some pretty heavy
loads. However this winch
had a very high gear ratio.

I look forward to posting responses that are technical.

k7puc