Re: [TowerTalk] Regarding Worm Gear Drive Winches

To: Brad Pioveson W9FX <w9fx@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Regarding Worm Gear Drive Winches
From: John Ammeter <jammeter@cablespeed.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 07:12:25 -0700
I have a TX472 and I replaced the original winch with a worm gear.  I
use a Milwaukee Hole Hawg drill to run the tower up and down.  BTW, I
tried two other "lesser" drills and found them lacking in the torque
needed to lift the tower.  The Hole Hawg easily runs the tower up.  The
worm gear has enough drag that it won't run in reverse "on its own" from
the weight of the tower.

John KE7JA