Re: [TowerTalk] Regarding Worm Gear Drive Winches

To: Dennis Vernacchia <n6ki73@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Regarding Worm Gear Drive Winches
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 22:17:58 -0700
Dennis Vernacchia wrote:

> After agonizing over many Spur and Worm gear winch details and even
> considering a JET 2000N for $750
> ( moment of insanity ! ) I decided on the *Fulton  KW3000* and a powerful
> half inch drill motor
> that turned low revs ( like the 300 RPM of a *Milwaukee Hole Hawg* Drill
> Motor )
> which I am now eyeballing as I could use a nice drill like that around the
> home jobs !

I have the Milwaukee right angle drill.  It has variable speed.  I
like to be able to turn at less than 300 RPM; that's 5 times a second.
The winch will overheat at 300 RPM.  It probably has less torque than
its big brother Hole Hawg, but that drill is NOT variable speed.
Tradeoffs tradeoffs.

Rick N6RK