Re: [TowerTalk] Regarding Worm Gear Drive Winches

To: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Regarding Worm Gear Drive Winches
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 22:23:45 -0400

jimlux wrote:
> Richard (Rick) Karlquist wrote:
>

>> What I wish someone would make is a conventional gear winch
>> with a brake that worked on air resistance.  A gear train
>> would make a paddle on an axle rotate at high speed such that
>> the winch would free run downward at a controlled rate without
>> anything overheating.  Schwinn make an exercise bike that worked

Something a little classier: We have "Wind Trainers" set up for our road
bikes. It takes less than a minute to put the road bike on it and be
ready to go. The faster you go the more the resistance. UNFORTUNATELY
even at 20 MPH you are generating a fraction of the resistance to even
slow the tower noticeably. Even a step up gear ratio would unlikely
prove satisfactory.  For instance, watching the Tour De France today I
noticed the riders were going up the mountain at an average of 20.1 MPH
and developing 285 Watts or 1.6 HP and a heartbeat of 177 bpm and that
is a tiny fraction of what a falling body would take.  You have to move
enough air that the energy equals that of the falling body minus system
friction.  I wonder how many of us could hit 20 MPH, let alone sustained
on a level surface. Then think of doing that while going up a mountain.<:-))

What might work (although it might be a bit technical to implement)
would be to drive a generator or alternator into a variable load.
However, every gear, shaft, bearing, control, and connection is an
additional failure point and for safety of life, limb, and pocket book
these need be kept to a minimum.

73

Roger (K8RI)