Re: [TowerTalk] How to waterproof a split coax feed to yagi?0

To: towertalk@contesting.com, trappaport@austin.rr.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] How to waterproof a split coax feed to yagi?0
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2009 08:15:37 EDT

In a message dated 8/6/2009 3:26:44 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,

>  To feed my Force 12 HF yagis, I plan to wind my own coax  baluns (8
turns of coax, 8" diameter - sound reasonable?), and would like to  simply
spilt
the LMR400 coax feedline, with the ground braid going to one side  of the
dipole element, and the center conductor to the other.

>  I am wondering what is the best way to **waterproof** the  split coax.
Is there some type of goop or sealant that has excellent  waterproofing and
UV resistance, that I can use to keep water from seeping  into the coax? I
would welcome any thoughts and sources....neither Home Depot  or Lowes had
anything that seemed like it would work.

        What you're suggesting is  very difficult to waterproof - the braid
just wicks water into your coax where  it typically runs down the coax into
the shack. A better solution is to use  a dipole feed insulator with an
SO-239. That way you can plug your PL-259 into  it and have the wire ends on
the feedpoint with a weatherproof transition.

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH
steps!