Re: [TowerTalk] Resonance is over rated

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Resonance is over rated
From: "Perry - K4PWO" <k4pwo@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2009 02:37:33 -0500
Using you analogy, substitute a 50-ohm dummy load and call it an "antenna".
Very little power will be lost in the "cable" and all the power will be
radiated by the "antenna".  The dummy load isn't resonant but your xmitter
will be very happy to pump power to the "antenna" since it sees the proper
impedance.  The big "oops" is that the radiation efficiency of the dummy
load antenna is very poor and most of the power goes into heat.  A matched
resonant antenna can be very close to a dummy load if its radiation
efficiency is poor.
In summary, its radiation efficiency and not resonance that makes the
difference as long as you match the load in both cases.

73 de Perry - K4PWO