Re: [TowerTalk] HyGain HyTower Questions

To: <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] HyGain HyTower Questions
From: "Tod -ID" <tod@k0to.us>
Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2009 00:07:59 -0600
For those who are thinking about making changes similar to the K3LR changes let
me add some reinforcement.

Like Tim I removed [and carefully saved] all of the stubs and associated
hardware. I changed some of the aluminum tube in the stinger to stiffen things
and adjusted the length to about 52 feet of vertical height. Finally, I fastened
four 45 foot wires to the top of the new stinger and added paraline rope at the
end of the wires. The paraline is used to position the four wires so the top of
the stinger is less 'wiggly' in strong winds [70-90 mph here in Idaho last May].
The four wires are a top hat and raise the feed point resistance.

The result is a vertical antenna that functions well on 160 and 80 but does need
tuning networks for delivering power to the antenna and radials { >24 } to
provide sufficient efficiency. The antenna is self supporting; the four lines
only position the top hat wires.

It is not a resonant antenna, but resonance is 'over rated'.

Tod, K0TO