Re: [TowerTalk] Resonance is over rated

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Resonance is over rated
From: Jeff Carter <towertalk@hidden-valley.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Aug 2009 02:00:04 -0400
No sir, we could most certainly *not* debate the definition of
resonance.  As I said before, it's long-settled and accepted science.

To get back to the original topic, the answer is it depends on what
you're doing.  Knowing hams as I do, my suggestion remains to throw up
whatever sort of antenna appeals to you and find out what works and
doesn't through experimentation.  Pick any antenna design out of any
book, build it, and see if you can load it.  Lather, rinse, repeat.
One can get much more out of this than arguing theory one has never
studied.

The deeper concepts might as well be black magic for the majority of
licensed Amateurs and it's probably best to leave it at that.  The
vast majority of us lack the proper background in theory to discuss
the underlying concepts and that's why you see so much tail-chasing on
these mailing lists.  Somebody who's "been a Ham for fifty years" will
say something utterly retarded and someone with an engineering degree
will call him on it, and around we go.

One of the FCC's reasons for allocating the spectrum to us is for
experimentation.  That is for all of us, engineers and non-engineers
alike.  Amateur radio was never meant to devolve into a bunch of
Talmudic debate.  Therefore, I say throw some wire in the air and see
what happens!

I've heard it said that the Internet is the death of Ham Radio.  It
may be, but not because of the communication afforded by the Internet.
 It'll be because we'll stop building antennas and towers and
amplifiers and instead just argue over stuff most of us don't and
can't understand until we all get mad and leave.

Jeff/KD4RBG
Society of Broadcast Engineers #25244