Re: [TowerTalk] One thrust bearing vs. two

To: <john@kk9a.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] One thrust bearing vs. two
From: "John E. Cleeve" <g3jvc@jcleeve.idps.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 19:10:51 +0100
To resolve a similar problem with the head unit of my 60ft lattice tower, I
used a heavy duty roller thrust bearing, obtained from a scrapped heavy
truck in a vehicle scrap yard, at the top of the head unit, half way down I
fitted a well grease lubricated "Tufnol" plastic sleeve, bored out at 2
inches, in the vertically misaligned bearing support of the head unit. I
passed the 2 inch diameter, antenna support/rotation tube down through the
top thrust bearing and then through the "Tufnol" sleeve, and I coupled the
rotor, a Prositel worm drive unit, to the 2 inch tube, by means of a 6 inch
outside diameter rubber doughnut coupling, intended as a vehicle final drive
transmission coupling. There is a secure sleeve clamp around the antenna
support/rotation tube, between the antenna and the thrust bearing which
transfers the weight of the antenna system to the top of the thrust bearing.
73, John G3JVC.