Re: [TowerTalk] HG52SS base

To: towertalk@contesting.com, wmgoins@gmail.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] HG52SS base
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2009 08:16:29 EDT

In a message dated 8/13/2009 12:02:09 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,

>  I recently purchased a HG52SS, and have a couple of  questions about the
base
for it.
One version of the manual has the base  at 30"X30"X4'3"" and the other is
42"X42" X5'6". I lean toward the larger  of the two, but the ground here is
rock. Solid rock. I need suggestions  about jut how to dig/chip/blast a hole
that size here. Anyone put a tower  into solid rock? Antenna will be a 2 el
quad on a 10 foot mast, but this is  a forever tower-raising as this is
likely the final home.

    I'm really not sure why you'd want to go to all  the work and expense
of getting rid of a bunch of rock and then fill it back  up with concrete.
The purpose of the concrete is provide a heavy base to  overcome the
overturning moment of the tower. Anchoring it into solid rock is  the same
thing.

    You can rent an impact hammer and rock drilling  bits. You epoxy your
anchor rods into the holes and use enough concrete to  bring the top of the
base to a little above grade and you'll be good to go.  They also make rock
expansion bolts that'll also work in the holes.

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
TOWER TECH -
Professional tower services for hams