Re: [TowerTalk] HG52SS base

To: <K7LXC@aol.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>, <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] HG52SS base
From: "Bert" <balmemo@sympatico.ca>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 20:22:25 -0400
Hi guys,

Check out the E-Z Way WonderPost at
http://home.comcast.net/~k1ypp/RBX-50_Tower_Take_Down_at_K1YPP.html It seems
to be working fine. No disaster. :-)

73 Bert, VE3OBU

-----Original Message-----
From: towertalk-bounces@contesting.com
[mailto:towertalk-bounces@contesting.com] On Behalf Of K7LXC@aol.com
Sent: Wednesday, August 19, 2009 9:38 AM
To: towertalk@contesting.com; K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net

In a message dated 8/19/2009 4:23:43 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,

>  Ive used dirt bases at all of my locations since 1961  with nary a
problem. They are usually go about 5' down to the crushed rock  .  The last
couple I fabricated out of 3/4" steel rod and 1/8" Steel  strap, 2"
wide. I gave it a good two coats of paint and planted it.   Yes it's
heavy but didn't cost much and has proven very  effective.

>  The dirt base only serves two real functions; The  first to keep the
base
of the tower from moving sideways and the second is  to keep it from sinking
into the ground.  Setting it on crushed rock  helps here.
However to work well the soil needs to be firm and not  acetic.  A hole in
damp sand with a half a foot of crushed rock will  support a lot of weight.
Pea gravel is not as  effective.

I think we're talking apples and  oranges here. The original poster wants to
install a free-standing crank-up  and I'm surmising that you are referring
to guyed towers. Putting a  self-supporter in dirt alone is a recipe for
disaster. And, as always, follow  the LXC Prime Directive to "DO what the
manufacturer says."

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
TOWER TECH