Re: [TowerTalk] No concrete for a Rohn tower base

To: TOWERTALK@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] No concrete for a Rohn tower base
From: Cqtestk4xs@aol.com
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 22:00:57 EDT
was not allowed to pour a cement base there.  I used  the rohn 25G dirt
base
to hold the 25G foldover tower with one section above  the hinge and one
below the hinge for a total of 60 feet with a TH-6 on  top.  I got 40 feet
of
it up myself.  The next day w2gd arrived an  put up the rest so he could
operate in one of the sprints.  It held up  through 4 or 5 hurricanes over
the 4 years I was down there.  When we  took the tower down and pulled out
the dirt base, it looked like new.   It wasn't like I didn't want a cement
base but when the military says no  cement, then CHAMPIONS ADJUST  !! .  I
was probably lucky but it  worked for me.

A lot depends on the type of soil....if it's acidic, you're  screwed.  I've
seen tower stored on its side on Georgia clay for a  couple of years and it
was already corroded where it touched the  ground.

The issue isn't if it could stand up to winds, but rather if  corrosion
would rot the steel buried below the ground.   The idea is  to keep moisture
away from constant contact with the steel.  That is why it  is not smart to
"pretty up" the raised tower base by putting wood mulch above  the tower base
where it touches the tower.  it also is the reson for  putting pea gravel
under the tower legs, so the moisture which accumulates in  the legs can
"drain out".  If the legs are "stuck" in the soil the water  has a hard time
draining.

Bill KH7XS/K4XS