Re: [TowerTalk] Amount of concrete in ground for Rohn 45G

To: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>, "Tower Talk List" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Amount of concrete in ground for Rohn 45G
From: "Dave Johnson" <djohnson@windstream.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 2009 22:30:15 -0400
Hey Jim,

Congratulations on your very good education.  I hope it has served you well.
I too have a very good education but what is more important to me about the
current topic is good old experience.  I am one of those professional tower
installers but not like the one you hired to do your work.  "Too unstable to
climb more than 25 ft above a guy", I don't think so.  I have installed 46
ham radio towers in my long career including the five I currently have at my
station.  I can only think of 7 of the 46 that we used concrete in the base
and I am very happy to say that only one of those towers has fallen.  That
one came down in a tornado and it had concrete in the base.

I am , of course, talking about guyed towers. Rohn 25, 45 and 55 up to 200
feet.  Free standing towers must have a concrete foundation.

When I talk to young Hams that are thinking about a tower, the first thing
most say is " I don't have much money for this".  I recently installed a 70
foot Rohn 25G with a tri band Yagi, a rotor, rotor cable, feed line and guys
for a young man with a young family.  We got the tower just for the cost of
taking it down.  Everything else was used and some things came from a
hamfest bone yard.  Total cost including my labor for taking the tower down
and back up with two sets of guys, antenna and everything was $555.00.  He
is now a happy ham and thrilled at every new DX contact he gets in his log.

I could go on and on about how much of the "published recommendations" you
referred to are written by lawyers and not engineers but I have likely said
too much already.  I don't intend to ruffle feathers here.  Your big "FALSE"
just got me started.

Cheers,

Dave - K4SSU