Re: [TowerTalk] Folded dipole

To: "Tom Osborne" <w7why@verizon.net>, "Towertalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Folded dipole
From: "Steve, W3AHL" <w3ahl@att.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 14:28:26 -0400
One of the best technical presentations on NVIS propagation and antennas is
at:

Look in the files section for NVIS_Presentation_R1-4-8a.pdf by WA5BEN.  You
need to join the group to access the files section.  There are older
versions of the file at other sites, but get the latest rev.

Optimum height is 1/8th wave (30' for 80M, 16' for 40M).  Anything less just
reduces efficiency with excessive ground losses.

I use a 80/40 fan dipole at 20'.  80M needs a tuner to cover the band, but
40M covers 7.1 - 7.3 at less than 1.8:1 SWR without a tuner.  7.1 MHz is as
low as I need to go for Winlink Pactor -- don't do CW.  I have an identical
antenna in my go kit for portable use.

Steve, W3AHL