Re: [TowerTalk] Folded dipole

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Folded dipole
From: "Steve, W3AHL" <w3ahl@att.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 18:50:13 -0400
The gain at a 90 degree take off angle isn't a very reliable indicator of
NVIS performance!  40-75 degrees is more useful.

Having done very controlled testing of different antennas and different
heights on 80 and 40 meters over 3 years my operating experience is:

1.  Anything less than 1/8 wave high has increased ground loss and is less
than optimum.

2.  Actual performance of antennas at heights of 1/8 to 1/4 wave vary a few
dB, depending upon ground conditions, distance of path, SSN, time of day,
season, etc. and isn't worth arguing about.

3. 1/8 wave NVIS antennas will pickup less interference from distant
stations and storms and have less problem with multipath distortion using
Pactor 3 digital modes.

4.  I love EZNEC and HFTA and RadioMobile modeling programs.  But sometimes
field tests don't agree with the predicted performance in  specific real
world instances.  RF propagation is a complex process with a lot of
variables.  Always take some time to verify your modeling with realistic,
controlled  testing.  And realize that the next time or place you test it
may yield different results!

Steve, W3AHL