Re: [TowerTalk] finding aluminum tubing

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] finding aluminum tubing
From: Rob Atkinson <ranchorobbo@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2009 19:40:22 -0500
Jorge:

It's not my intent to get into a "testimonial war" so I'll freely
state that I have ordered from DX Engineering before, and the
cardboard box they used to ship my purchase in was of the best
quality.  The radial plate is a very nice radial plate too and still
works great with my 101 radials out in back.

I don't know who will pick up the phone at DXE when you call, but if
you call Penninger Radio a live mechanical engineer will answer the
phone during business hours (no machines and menus) and advise you on
a purchase based on his experience with forces on structures,
performing calculations on the spot as you give him your
specifications.   This is the only ham vendor I know of where after a
minute on the phone the guy is giving me the bending moment on a ten
foot mast at the top of a four foot quad mount for a 3 sq. foot wind
load at the top in a 70 mph wind and advising me on what o.d. and wall
thickness to use.

And I just purchased a 50 foot crank up aluminum mast from him in
which he did the whole design and put it all together for me and
guaranteed that if it didn't stay up he'd fix it until it does.  (It's
staying up FB).  But I'm sure everyone else has a fine product and
good luck with them.

73

Rob K5UJ